Profound Quotes

You may be deceived if you trust too much but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough - Frank Crane

Wednesday 8 February 2012

PANCAKES!

One of my best moments in life was the time I shared with my Grandfather. He was a good and fair man. He was funny, nutty and supportive. He would make the best pancakes ever! Mind you they were also the BIGGEST I have ever seen. BIGGER, then the ones you see on Diner's, Driven in's and Dives! And they were so good. Light, fuffy and of course they would melt in your month. I would through one and he would say "ready for the next one, kid?" I really could not eat anymore but it made him feel good to make another one. So, I would say "make it a half and you got a deal!" I would be so full that when I went to Ourland Pool for swimming drills, I would think so sure I was going to drown. Oh, how I miss those pancakes! They is something about those ones that warmed you up, and the smell just filled the house.

 Of course over time I started making pancakes, too. Not the size that he made but pretty good ones. The favourite is APPLE PANCAKES with Maple Syrup Butter! Yummy! I have made them for both family and friends for breatfast, brunch and even for New Years Eve! LOOK! Breaskfast should be eatten anytime of the day, NOT just in the morning!
INGREDIENTS
PANCAKE BATTER

scant 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg
scant 1 cup milk
2 apples, peeled and grated
1 tsp butter

MAPLE SYRUP BUTTER

3 oz/85g butter, soften
3 tbsp maple syrup

DIRECTIONS

Mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl and make a well in the center. Beat the egg and the milk together and pour into the well. Using a wooden spoon, gently incorporate the dry ingredients into the liquid until well combined, then stir in the grated apples.

Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat until melted and bubbling. Add tablespoon of the pancake mixture to form 3 1/2-inch/9cm (or whatever) circles. Cook each pancake about 1 minute, until it starts to bubble lightly on the top and looks set, then flip it over and cook the other side for 30 seconds, or until cooked through. The pancakes should be golden brown; if not incease the heat a little. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Repeat.

To make the Maple Syrup Butter, melt the butter with the maple syrup in a pan over low heat and stir until combined. To serve, place the pancakes on serving dishes and spoon over the flavored butter. Serve warm.

MAKES 18 PANCAKES TO SERVE 4-6 PEOPLE (but that depends on how small or big you make them)

DAMN GOOD PANCAKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment